The Facts about Custom Metal Frames
Metal frames have been recognized as the backbone of custom framing for some time, beautifully complementing photography of all kinds in a number of ways:
- For photographs that warrant a clean, modern look, metal frames provide a sleek and smooth aesthetic.
- The nature of metal supports a timeless quality, in both style and function. Metal doesn’t warp or phase out of style.
- Metal frames are economical and come in an array of highly affordable options to meet various budgets.
- They are conservation quality—a key advantage given the importance of protecting photography from harmful elements, like acid,, which can deteriorate a piece’s essence over time.
- Metal frames are light but sturdy, so they are structurally sound without involving an overly heavy frame.
- DIY custom framing is simple when you opt for metal frames that offer easy assembly, with all hardware included.
- If your photography requires sizing that doesn’t fit standard, off-the-shelf frames, custom metal provides an optimal fit.
- Metal frames are extremely versatile and flexible, fitting any type of photography. They come in a wide range of different finishes, styles and colors.
The Gold Standard in Metal Frames
There is a top choice when it comes to metal frames, and that’s the Nielsen® brand. The inventor of the classic “gallery” frame and the leading manufacturer of metal mouldings worldwide, Nielsen has been making frames for over 40 years.
The manufacturing of Nielsen metal frames includes an anodization process that makes them highly durable and mar-resistant. A unique electrostatic paint system applies multiple coats to each frame. This means that coverage is exceptional, as is resistance to scratches and scuffs. These frames are made entirely in America, all from 100% recyclable aluminum, which also makes them earth-friendly.
Nielsen produces many different collections of metal frames, and two of our favorites include:
Standard Plus Two: This line of strong, flawless aluminum frames can elevate already dramatic photographs. The finishes on the Standard Plus Two collection are what make them truly special, including the variety of linen texture ones and the range of earth-tone mouldings that add sheen and glamour. From the integrity of these frames and how they’re cut, to the seamless connections and easy assembly, this collection shines with simplicity and beauty.